As some of you may know – I keep a running search for “walrus” going on Twitter (via a column in Tweetdeck). As a result, I see many many tweets about walruses, or featuring the word walrus. After some time of doing this, I have determined that there are certain walrus-related tweets that it’s time to hang up for good. Seriously, you have no idea how many times some of these are tweeted.
Here then, are the top six walrus-related tweets that need to be retired from Twitter:
- “That awkward moment when it’s silent in class and your stomach decides to make a dying walrus sound.”
- TIE: “I am the walrus” and tweets related the the “bashful walrus and the fishcake” picture, above.
- “My voice sounds great when I’m singing with my earphones on, Then I take them off and I realize I sound like a dying walrus”
- “The time has come,” the Walrus said, “to speak of many things- of shoes, and ships, and sealing wax- of cabbages, and kings.”
- Anything related to the YouTube video “Obey the Walrus”
- “When a guy looks at me and I can’t tell if he’s thinking “She’s cute!” or if he’s thinking “How did that walrus escape the zoo?”
To prove my assertion that these are overused – I didn’t have to type any of those, I just opened a tab with Tweetdeck and there they were, all re-posted within the last 24 hours or so! In other news, when did “dying walrus” become the go-to metaphor for really bad singing?
It was good fun while it lasted but it’s time to move on. The above tweets have long since jumped the shark, er… the walrus. Do you have suggestions to add?
If you’re not already – please follow us on Twitter @walrusweb